Samuli Reijula (né Pöyhönen)
I am currently (2020-2025) an Academy of Finland research fellow at the University of Helsinki. I work in the theoretical philosophy unit, and my research focuses on two main areas:
- Institutional epistemology. What are epistemically well-designed social systems like? What are the social, cognitive and institutional conditions of well-functioning scientific research?
- Evidence-based policy. How are findings from the behavioral sciences used to inform policy design? How should that translation be done?
In June 2022, together with Säde Hormio and Raul Hakli, I’m organizing the first Institutional epistemology workshop at the University of Helsinki. And with Pantelis Analytis (Odense) and Jacob Habinek (IAS), I’m also putting together a series of workshops Nordic Network for the Science of Science (funded by NOS-HS, 2022-2023).
I am also interested in uncertainty, epistemology of simulation modeling, computational social science, as well as issues related to natural kinds and conceptual change.
As a university lecturer (currently on research leave), I am responsible for undergraduate teaching and supervising in the area of the philosophy of science. I’m also affiliated with the TINT Centre for Philosophy of Social Science at the University of Helsinki.
- Modeling cognitive diversity in group problem solving, COGSCI 2022: 44th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. (4/2022) (w/ Jaakko Kuorikoski)
- Terapeuttinen puhe on kaikkialla (Therapeutic discourse is everywhere; book review), Tieteessä Tapahtuu 1/2022. (2/2022)
- Social categories in the making: construction or recruitment? Synthese. (7/2021)
- Hacking, Ian (1936-), Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (5/2021)
- The diversity-ability trade-off in scientific problem solving, Philosophy of Science (PSA 2020/2021). (w/ Jaakko Kuorikoski) (4/2021)
- Argumentative landscapes: the functions of models in social epistemology, Synthese. (w/ Emrah Aydinonat and Petri Ylikoski) (4/2020)
- Self-nudging and the citizen choice architect, Behavioral Public Policy (w/ Ralph Hertwig). (3/2020)
- Tutkijan vapaus institutionaalisen tietoteorian näkökulmasta, in ed. K. Ekholm, E. Väliverronen 2020: Tieteen vapaus & tutkijan sananvapaus. Vastapaino, Finland. (w/ Petri Ylikoski)